According to reports, the third instalment in Keanu Reeves’ ‘gun-fu’ series has already become the highest grossing entry in the series – despite being released less than two weeks ago.
The blockbuster raked in $181 million at the global box office in its first 10 days, surpassing John Wick: Chapter 2, which took just $171.5 million and the OG John Wick, which took $88.7 million worldwide back in 2014.
During its second weekend at theatres, Parabellum made an enormous $24.35 million in the United States, bringing its domestic takings to $107.1 million.
In the new John Wick 3: Parabellum, Wick is being hunted with a $14 million open contract on his life, after breaking a central rule: taking a life on Continental Hotel grounds.
Chapter 3 has become the most successful in the entire franchise. Credit: Lionsgate
A synopsis says: “The victim was a member of the High Table who ordered the open contract. John should have already been executed, except the Continental’s manager, Winston, has given him a one-hour grace period before he’s ‘Excommunicado’ – membership revoked, banned from all services and cut off from other members.
“John uses the service industry to stay alive as he fights and kills his way out of New York City.”
Just last week it was announced that Chapter 3 had even knocked Marvel’s cinematic juggernaut Avengers: Endgame off its box office perch.
Forbes confirmed the news, reporting that the movie had taken a ‘frankly superb’ $57.025 million domestically for its weekend debut.
In the same time frame, it was reported, Endgame took just more than $29m (although, yes, since its release it’s gone on to make billions), while Pokemon: Detective Pikachu made$24m.
Reeves has said he will carry on playing the brooding killer as long as he can. Credit: Lionsgate
And with numbers like this, it’s hardly a surprise that producers have already announced that a fourth movie is in the works.
Eager to get moving with yet another instalment of the Wick saga, the film’s makers have even confirmed a release date of May 2021, so fans don’t have too long to wait to see more Reeves rage.
A campaign was launched, encouraging fans to text a specified number, and in return they got a message saying: “You have served. You will be of service. John Wick: Chapter 4 is coming – May 21, 2021.”
And fans will be pleased to read that the ‘Boogeyman’ himself, Keanu Reeves, is up for being involved long-term, too.
In a recent interview with GQ, the 54-year-old was asked how long he would continue in the role, to which he replied: “As far as my legs can take me. As far as the audience wants to go.”
Keep it coming, Keanu.